Friday 4 March 2011

Song Of The Day 04/03/2011: Good Luck - Man on Fire

For a large proportion of my music-listening life I've thought of the words "pop-punk" as taboo. Dirty words. Words that should not dare to speak their name. (I blame this largely on the rubbish Blink 182, Green Day etc.).
How wrong I was. Since getting more into stuff like classic American post-hardcore and midwestern indie, my ears have really been opened to how good this stuff can be. The best of it mixes punk ethos and energy with great pop melodies and lyrics: in that sense it's really not that far from some of my favourite UK indiepop (I tend to like the noisier end of things more anyway). So I'm sorry about that.
Anyway, Good Luck are one of my favourites of this kind of sound. I can't remember how I first heard about them, but their first album is one of my most played records of the last year. Twinkly guitars, sing-along lyrics, nice melodies, and it's a really positive and cheery record generally. Their lyrics might put some people off, but I like them (especially stuff like the clever wordplay at the beginning of this one).

So yeah, even if you think you don't like "pop punk" at all, give this a try. Hopefully you might be pleasantly suprised. If not, feel free to abuse me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment