Thursday 3 February 2011

Song Of The Day 03/02/2011: Guided By Voices - My Valuable Hunting Knife

I've been listening to a lot of GBV recently, so thought I'd share one of their songs. This is from the 'Tigerbomb' EP, but was also previously released on their major label debut 'Alien Lanes'. The song was rereleased because Pollard thought that it, along with GBVs biggest song, 'Game of Pricks', would benefit from a more 'professional' recording technique. It's classic GBV - the driving rhythm section, the monotonous lyrics and guitars that somehow sound really tuneful despite not really having a tune. I really recommend getting into GBV - their 32-track compilation is probably the best place to start, as their albums can suffer from a lack of self-editing, but Robert Pollard is capable of crafting some absolutely amazing rock songs.

Guided By Voices - My Valuable Hunting Knife

No comments:

Post a Comment