Thursday 24 March 2011

Song Of The Day 24/03/2011: Blitzen Trapper - Furr (and some Rainn Wilson too)

Blitzen Trapper are one of those bands I don't really 'get'. 'Wild Mountain Nation', their 2007 album, and 'Furr', from 2008, are two records that I really should love - hyped up as across between Southern rock and Pavement, in my opinion they just don't have enough quality songs for a band of their standing.

That said, this is an absolutely brilliant song. Many has been the time I've put the album in, got to track 3, replayed it about 10 times and then just given up on the album. It's got a kind of Okkervil River-y guitar part, with the capo on really high to make the guitar sound more like a ukulele, if anything. The vocals are understated, the lyrics are great. If BT had written much more like this, they'd be one of my favourite bands. As it is, I could easily live without anything they've done, except this.

Blitzen Trapper - Furr

As a bonus, here's a brilliant short film featuring Rainn Wilson (Dwight from The Office), playing a warped version of himself, and Blitzen Trapper. I'm not going to spoil it by telling you what happens, but the title is a bit of a clue. And it ends with a version of 'Furr'!

No comments:

Post a Comment