Tuesday 15 March 2011

Song Of The Day 15/03/2011: Withered Hand - Religious Songs

Today's song is by Withered Hand, an artist I'd not really heard much of before last week, when he mentioned on his twitter that he'd been contacted by the organisers of Indietracks. I'm always eager for any Indietracks news, so I thought I'd check him out, and I'm really glad I did.

He's released a few EPs and one album, Good News, which has this recording of today's song. He plays a kind of folky indiepop, all high, hushed vocals and strummed guitar, but the real attraction here is the lyrics. Hilarious, poignant and deeply moving, at times in the same song, this one has some of the most quotable lines I've heard in ages. "How can he really expect to be happy, when he listens to death metal bands?".

I'm now kicking myself for not having got into him sooner, as he's played in London pretty recently. I hope the Indietracks rumours are true!

Withered Hand - Religious Songs

No comments:

Post a Comment