Saturday 26 February 2011

Song Of The Day 26/02/2011: Rocketship - I Love You Like The Way That I Used To Do

Rocketship were a mid-90s Slumberland Records band, at the twee end of that label's releases. A forerunner to the current trend of shoegazey 60s-influenced indiepop, they only released one album, 1996's 'A Certain Smile, A Certain Kindness'. This is the first track from that album.

The song has fairly basic lyrics, that verge on being too sugary - 'hug, hug, hug me and kiss, kiss, kiss me, tell, tell, tell me you'll miss, miss, miss me' is a case in point - but the best thing about this track is how well it switches from the 'pop' sections to the more dreamy shoegaze sections and back again. The lush sounds of the organs and the guitars, which have one of the nicest, smoothest, warmest effects combinations I've ever heard on a shoegaze record, blend together perfectly, making it the kind of breathless indiepop rush that can't really be improved on.

Rocketship – I Love You Like The Way That I Used To Do

No comments:

Post a Comment