Thursday 3 February 2011

Big day for exciting release announcements


I've only just logged onto my computer this evening, and have already seen two announcements I've been waiting for for a while. Firstly, there's more news on the forthcoming POBPAH record, with a new song available to stream. Read the interview and listen to 'Belong' here. They have quite a good long interview, even mentioning my 'Song Of The Day' from a week or so ago, 'Gothenburg Handshake'. The song didn't have much subtlety, admittedly, but now they've confirmed my suspicions as to what it was about. Hmm.

To be honest I don't think the new song is their best, but most of what they've released has grown massively on me, and all the other songs I've heard from the new record have been brilliant, so I'm not worried. Here's the soundcloud player for 'Belong'.

The Pains of Being Pure At Heart "Belong" by Slumberland Records


The other good thing was that Help Stamp Out Loneliness finally have a release date for their debut (May 2011). With them having been around for what feels like forever, it'll be great to finally hear proper versions of the demos that have been circulating for a while. Of the three songs streaming on their Bandcamp, I only know the last, 'Record Shop', which has been in heavy rotation on my stereo ever since I got their demo CD back at Indietracks 2009, and was one of the songs that fuelled my transformation from indiepop fan to indiepop obsessive. The other two are equally good - 'Cottonopolis and Promises' is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from HSOL's previous output, and takes full advantage of D. Lucille Campbell's Nico-esque vocals, and 'Angelyne' is slightly more twee and jangly than most of their stuff, which is a good (if fairly unsurprising) transition, and suits them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment