Monday 14 February 2011

Song Of The Day 14/02/2011: The Loves - Xs & Os

In an 'apt' move, as today is Valentine's Day, I thought I'd put up a song by the Loves. They played their farewell gig last night, so as of today, they are no more (at least until the 2024 reunion tour). I'll be doing a review of the gig - which featured 8 acts, including some of my favourite twee-, indie- and garage-pop bands - at some point fairly soon. This song is one of my favourite of theirs, and was the song that first got me into them when it appeared on the Fortuna Pop! compilation, 'Be True To Your School'. The Loves are very much a 60s revivalist band, but this song sounds more like an Apples In Stereo song than anything else. The playful riff, a very basic structure, and backing vocal 'ooh!'s make this a (fairly throwaway, admittedly) pop classic.

The Loves – Xs And Os

No comments:

Post a Comment