Wednesday 23 February 2011

Song Of The Day 23/02/2011: Allo Darlin' - Silver Dollars

Allo Darlin' are probably my favourite of the current new wave of London indiepop bands, and are probably the closest to genuine twee that scene can boast. This is one of their best tracks, from their debut album released last year. They're a band that are great at pretty much anything they try - they have a ukulele-only song called Tallulah that can bring entire rooms to a hush, and that may well be a future SOTD - but I think this kind of twinkly guitar-led pop is what they do best. Everything about it is great - the lovely, trebly, chiming guitar part is backed by some fairly basic bass and drum parts that'll get the kids dancing. The lyrics are exceptional too, all about the trials of being in an indie band, with no money. Some of the lines in the song are absolutely brilliant, such as 'I'm even starting to wish that I'd finished a legal vocation. Yeah, my life would be dull, but at least I could go on vacation' and 'though you say we're just friends and that this love is purely platonic, I'm hoping that you'll forget after this round of gin and tonic'. It all adds up to a song I have played a frankly luidcrous amount over the last year.


Allo, Darlin' – Silver Dollars

No comments:

Post a Comment