Tuesday 22 February 2011

Song Of The Day 22/02/2011: Thrushes - Loyalty

Thrushes are a band from Baltimore. The song I've chosen today is from the first record, "Sun Come Undone", and they had another one out last year (although I haven't listened to it much). Both of them are on Spotify so give them a listen.

Anyway, Thrushes occupy the same territory as a few other bands on the edge of shoegaze and dreampop, with some "epic" post rock-style touches, but they basically do it a bit better than most of their contemporaries. Their first album's really good, a nice combination of some strong songwriting, great guitar sounds and lovely female vocals (which, as I have mentioned before, is a winning formula for me). And although they clearly love the same first-wave shoegaze bands as me and everyone else (Slowdive in particular I think), they're good enough to sound like they're adding something of their own to the well-worn formula. So don't listen to this expecting groundbreaking sonic experimentation or startling innovation; go into it expecting some lovely hazy dreampop and I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

Thrushes - Loyalty

No comments:

Post a Comment