Monday 11 April 2011

Song Of The Day 11/04/2011: Hop Along - Sally

Following on from yesterday's p.s. eliot post: a few days ago I was checking out some of the other stuff on Salinas, and I stumbled upon the band Hop Along. Apparently Frances, the singer and songwriter, used to play solo as "Hop Along, Queen Ansleis", but now she works in a full-band setup with a drummer and second guitarist.

Anyway so Hop Along as full band have only released one 10" EP (three tracks in twenty minutes) but it's really good. The kind of idiosyncratic vocal delivery that I really love, mixed with vaguely twinkly guitars that sparkle and build in fantastic ways. I guess p.s. eliot is not a bad reference point, but with some amazing vocal gymnastics and less of a punk feel to the music. Good lyrics too.

This is my favourite song from the EP, although the ten-minute closer "Second Name" is great too. The way this one builds towards the end is just brilliant.

This is a very odd video, but it was the only place online that I could find it. Anyway, it's quite funny. The song doesn't start until about 30 seconds in, and fades out towards the end. Oh well.

<

No comments:

Post a Comment