Friday 8 April 2011

Song Of The Day 08/04/2011: Crystal Stilts - Through the Floor

Yeah, I posted Crystal Stilts as the song of the day a few weeks ago, but since then I've had the chance to listen to their new record quite a lot (although it's not out until the 11th, they were selling it after the gig at Cargo a couple of weeks ago). A couple of other bands I love (Pains and Okkervil River) have had new albums out/leaked recently that I've been a little disappointed by, but this one really delivers the goods.
It takes the gothic-y, moody lo-fi pop formula of the first album, but everything sounds a bit bigger and more elaborate, without losing the simplistic kind of charm which made the first so catchy. They've had some fun with the added possibilities of the studio, and the arrangements are a bit busier and more fleshed out (I'm pretty sure there's even some harpsichord on a couple of the songs). Every song is as full of classic pop hooks as you'd expect from them, although they're maybe buried slightly deeper than on the first and take a few more listens to get really embedded. On this song, the most immediately resonant on the album, they're using a classic four-chord progression, but it still feels somehow fresh, which I think is mainly due to the vocals (I love the ooh-oohs on the chorus especially).
Anyway, buy the record when it comes out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

(youtube link as this isn't on Spotify yet):
Crystal Stilts - Through the Floor

No comments:

Post a Comment