Sunday 5 June 2011

Song Of The Day 05/06/2011: Electrelane - The Valleys

Today's song is from the album "The Power Out" by Electrelane, a band it took me a painfully long time to actually get around to listening to. I'm not sure why, since their mix of female vocals, krautrock grooves and experimentation is right up my street. They also have Ros Murray (who also plays in the ever-excellent bands Trash Kit and Ray Rumours) on bass. I finally listenined to them after they announced a reunion (or whatever it's called when a band stops being on hiatus) and I'm really glad I did.
This song's particularly good, and pretty much unique. I've never heard anything like the use of the choir here. I suppose one of the closest comparisons I can think of is some of Dirty Projectors' stuff, but really it's not like anything else. Great record, great band: hopefully I'll get a chance to see them soon.

1 comment:

  1. Really fantastic song. Still loving it after all these years.

    ReplyDelete