Friday 3 June 2011

Song Of The Day 03/06/2011: Low - Transmission

Tonight, after Belle and Sebastian on Monday, I'm seeing another of the small group of bands in my all time top 10 that I've never seen live. Low are playing the Barbican, a venue I haven't been to before (for a gig, anyway). I've been looking forward to it a lot, ever since I first heard their new album, C'mon, which is in my opinion the record of the year so far.

Today I've been chain-listening to their entire back catalogue, and have heard a couple of interesting tracks I haven't heard much before. One is this, their cover of Joy Division's classic 'Transmission', with its instantly recognisable bass intro slowed down to a fraction of the original. I really like this kind of cover, which is both unmistakeably the original song, yet could never have actually been produced by the original band. They even change the key of the vocals - the melodic interplay between the two vocal lines means the song isn't as immediate as the original, but rather gives a vague sense of queasiness rather than a full hit of unease.

No comments:

Post a Comment