Wednesday 19 January 2011

New Band: Be Like Pablo

A brilliant little Glasgow indiepop band. They were at Indietracks last year, and I heard very good things about them, but didn't actually get round to seeing them - I think they overlapped with the indiepop pub quiz and MJ Hibbett. They did, however, make their presence fairly obvious during the rest of the festival, walking around and forcing people to follow them to see various bands they seemed to be obsessed with. They got me to see Ballboy, who I wouldn't have seen otherwise and who were one of my highlights of the festival, so kudos to them for that, before I even start talking about their music.

There are a few songs streamable on their Myspace. They describe themselves as "the beach Boys with Scottish accents, Moog synthesisers, noisy guitars and a healthy dose of nerdy enthusiasm". I'd go along with all of that. 'The Post-It Song' is brilliant, with interlocking boy-girl vocals (where the girl sounds far more Scottish than the boy - I don't know why, but this sounds weird to me), but 'Julianne' is even better. I don't know how well this kind of thing would stretch into a full album, but if they can find a bit more variety, then I don't see why the album (which they are apparently just finishing mixing) couldn't be one of the first brilliant UK indiepop records of the year. Here's a YouTube video of Julianne.

No comments:

Post a Comment