Wednesday 15 December 2010

Album Review: Free Energy - Stuck On Nothing


[DFA, 2010]

I heard about this album from a spin.com article on artists' favourite albums of the year. Everyone else just gave the usual two lines on how Beach House's album had 'beautiful harmonies' or whatever, but Patrick Stickles, frontman of Titus Andronicus, turned in a screen-long summary of why he loved this record, showering it with praise, saying that it is "the sort of album you will put on ten years later and be amazed that you still know all the words". I had to have a listen, obviously. The first track jumped out at me - as bands like POBPAH and Talulah Gosh well know, if you have a song with the same name as the band, it has to be bloody good. And this is. You can definitely see why Stickles likes it - it has a very Titus-y feel, especially for the first few songs. The backing is tight, the tunes are solid. After about 3 plays through I can already say that I love this album, although whether I'll still know all the words in 10 years is another story....


To be honest, I can't better Patrick Stickles' review above. Go to the link, then go to Spotify and find the album. You're in for a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment